Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Had to Cut Down Rough Weed & Saplings Before Starting to Plant Manihot

Manihot is a very popular food in our country. Some people make a living entirely by growing it. While I have no such desire (mainly because these days it's very difficult to find people to work on fields, the new generation seems to feel that being a farmer is sort of a lower end job), but I have a small land (about 90 perches) which is currently filled with weed & saplings and other non useful plants which I have to cut down first (I'll have to use a brush cutter actually, yes they're very thick and something like one that is listed here will do it, nope, a grass cutter won't do), and after seeing some of the successes of few that I know of, I'll get it a shot.

Now this is not the first time I've attempted to plant in this piece of land that I own. It's surrounded by homes these days and it's the only land that's left actually in that particular area and I've received some complaints from the neighbors saying that there's a bit of a mosquito 'population' on my land they're concerned about their kids safety (yes Dengue is very common here) so I guess I have to act quickly here.

So anyway, coming back to the point, one of the reasons why I decided to go with Manihot is because it's easy to maintain (well, relatively speaking). Because I've previously experimented with Pineapples, but let me tell you, maintaining a half acres full of Pineapples plants is no easy task. They can be quite rewarding from a financial point of view (although, one also has to spend a lot for properly maintaining them as well), still, Manihot even if it's not that rewarding, for the ease of mind, I've decided to go with it.

From a nutrition point of view too Manihot is not a superior root, but it's also quite resilient to pest attacks as well. If interested, one should also consider the weather conditions as well. For my little experiment, I think I'll use some of the advice listed here. Wish me luck!.

No comments:

Post a Comment